Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Weekend in NYC

We came.

We saw.

We ate.

That was pretty much our weekend in New York. We arrived after a good 7 1/2 hour drive to stay at our good friends house in Brooklyn. I love coming into NYC on the 278. You start crossing a few bridges and emerge into buildings and industrial sites instead of a highway. You make a turn and bam! there it is. The complete Manhattan skyline, with lady liberty off to the left. It always blows me away. I feel like it should be gradual... like o.k, we are almost there, get ready, set.... city! But nope, one turn and it pretty much just smacks you in the face. I love it!

We saw a few new things, like walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and explored SoHo. We also spent some time playing with the kids in Central Park. I love that. The city is so busy and crazy, but the second you walk into Central Park it stops. It is chill. People are still everywhere, but they are just chilling. Jack and Sophia, my friend's little girl, ran and played and had a complete blast. It was so sweet to watch them play and watch them interact with anyone around them, no matter how they looked, dressed or what language they spoke. I love that.

We ate. A lot. So much. Jack decided not to sleep in New York, which is not so fun. He woke up at 6am, tired, crabby and fussy, yet refused to sleep. So, we walked with him while the rest of the house slept. Where do you go at 7am in Brooklyn? Why Bergen Bagels of course. They have the best bagels ever. I do not know why, but they do. Their everything bagel is what manna would taste like if it were an everything bagel. We ate one every single morning.

I was able to go into SoHo with Jackie for a girls night out with out babies and have some amazing sushi at this little place called Slurp. It was so good. Than we went to Sugar for dessert. Do i need to explain anymore? I absolutely love love SoHo.

The rest of the trip included new york style pizza (an obvious must), hot dogs and Mr. Softees from the vendor, an amazing Italian dinner with Salmon Ravioli that was outstanding and so forth. My favorite stop was Crumbs, this amazing bakery that are known for their cupcakes. I about died. Ryan and i decided to get two and split them. After much considering, we got a Reeses' cupcake (Chocolate with peanut butter frosting inside and out) and an Orange Dreamsicle (Vanilla cake with orange cream frosting inside and out). They were both amazing, but the Dreamsicle was everyone's favorite. This type eating put me in a food comma and i will not be eating anything but salad for the next month straight. But it was ALL worth it :)

I love the city and exploring it. If i was just married with out any kids, i would live there. We are so thankful that we have such great friends that allow us to stay with them and take us around. I wish we lived closer. I miss my friends, i miss our babies toddling around after each other. I wish we could do it more often.

After a LONG traffic-filled 9 1/2 hour ride home, we all collapsed. New York is the city that never sleeps, and we certainly did not get much sleep. But give me some sleep and some time to recover, and i would do it again soon!

p.s... went to the anthropolgie in the heart of SoHo. Paparazzi were waiting for someone famous on the street corner, brownstones lined the side streets and oh, the fashion the people wore around there. Love. Tried on a brilliant little black sweater that has replaced all other stalking items. In the words of Rachel Zoe, i die. Really, it was that good. I die. Mischievous plans of birthday/anniversary and per diem money are forming for this little number. Shopping in SoHo? I die.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. Sounds like too much fun. :) I've never been to NYC. Wanna go...

Matt and Tiffany McClain said...

reading your blog just made me really hungry!! hahah! sounds like a great trip. Reminds me of the first few times I visited NYC. But it never gets old..that is for sure! I want one of those everything bagel's right now!!! :) Maybe one day we can all get up there at the same time!