Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tuna Cakes


I found this recipe on this blog and wanted to give it a try. It was labeled as a Faux Crab Cake... but tuna is not crab and I would much rather just call it a tuna cake. I have made these a few times and they are super easy and super delicious. You can make and cook them in 10 minutes and the ingredients are always in my pantry, so it is a simple solution of what to make for dinner. I have paired them with a nice big salad and with a lemon-herbed orzo (pictured above). Simple and healthy with lots of flavor!

Tuna Cakes:

1/4 cup mayonnaise dressing. ~I used a low fat version~

1 tablespoon minced onion. ~I do not care for raw onions and substituted onion power to taste. My onion loving hubby didn't even miss them!~

1 tablespoon sweet relish ~ I did not have any relish on hand and the Hubs doesn't like sweet relish anyway. So took this out and added garlic power to taste.~

1 egg, beaten

2 (6-ounce) cans tuna fish (in water) ~I HIGHLY recommend an albacore tuna or a chunky tuna. The thicker consistency of the tuna really helps form the cakes.~

Cooking spray; for frying ~ I used PAM Olive Oil spray~

1/2 cup PANKO bread crumbs ~ I used more for the crust of the cakes. PANKO is a Japanese bread crumb that has less calories than regular breadcrumbs and is super crunchy. You can find it in any store by the regular breadcrumbs.~

1 pinch salt

1 pinch pepper ~ I added extra pepper to the mixture and into my PANKO~.

Lemon Juice, optional



DIRECTIONS:


Heat large skillet over medium heat; coating with cooking spray. While skillet is heating, combine tuna, beaten egg, onion, mayonnaise dressing, 1/4 cup PANKO bread crumbs, salt, pepper and lemon juice, to taste, if desired. Form into patties and dust with additional bread crumbs. When skillet is hot, fry patty until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and serve.

Enjoy!


No comments: