Monday, February 28, 2011

Make Your Own Taco Seasoning

You know how it happens. You plan dinner in your head. You start cooking. You head to the pantry for an ingredient and BAM! it is missing. You don't have time to run to the store, so you improvise.

I was making tacos on day and did not have any seasoning mix. I have tried to re-create it before and to no avail. So, I turned to the ol' internet and found this recipe on Allrecipes.com.

It is so simple and so good. I have doubled and tripled this recipe. I have made it for friends and they have loved it. I have used it for beef, turkey and chicken. You can add more or less, depending on the desired heat. It tastes so much better than the packaged seasoning. Try it.
You will never want buy another mix again!

Taco Seasoning I recipe
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
Just mix it all together and store in an airtight container. I used a couple tablespoons for a pound of meat and around 1/3-1/2 a cup of water, depending on how saucy I want it.

I made some ground turkey with this seasoning tonight and threw it into a taco salad of sorts. SO good. And healthy.

Mrs. B, you should be proud. It was a super healthy little meal...ya know...so I can start dropping that baby weight.

    No comments: